Sunday, September 10, 2006

Home again

Great to be back.

Best moment while traveling: Standing in line in Minneapolis, waiting to get on the plane to Portland, I overheard the gate attendant asking a passenger, in a stern confrontational voice, "do you have any salad dressing in there?"

Oh no, it's the 'War on Salads'.

At least the grandmother in line ahead of me got her shoes searched - I feel so much better.

Here's another great euphemism for our times: at the entrance to the security-check area, the TSA had thoughtfully provided a receptacle containing plastic booties, that folks can use while their shoes are being X-rayed (by machines acknowledged to be ineffective in detecting explosives). These little blue booties were cheerfully referred to as 'Air Slippers'.

Sounds kinda soothing, eh? Why you can be just as comfortable as when you wear your slippers at home, in your Homeland.

Anyway, the flight was terror-free, and I read and dozed. I can't tell you how happy I was to see the Snake River down below, cutting north thru Hell's Canyon, and, a few minutes later, the big bend of the Columbia appeared, heading west to my home.

Back in my back yard, I dug potatoes (got a grocery bag full, and I know there are more to be found) and picked plums.

Now, I hear Karen watching the fictional ABC 9/11 'dramatization' (or, as I hereby officially dub it, "The Triumph of the Swill"). Could there possibly be a more straightforward demonstration that Fascism is here? Hint: click 'Click here' at the top of the page.

Shame, shame, shame.

No comments: