Tuesday, September 05, 2006

goodbye, cat


A half-hour ago, we had Maisie euthanized.

It was clear that she had stopped eating and the time had come. Karen and I drove her over to the neighborhood vet, who kindly administered the barbituate overdose.

After a couple of seconds, her head drooped over - I sat directly in front of her as the light went out. Very peaceful.

I am now taking her out to the back yard, to the grave that I dug back in June. What a tough, smart old lady she was.

--------------------------

Ten minutes later.

She is buried.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sad that your kitty is gone. How tough was that - sitting right in front of her and watching? She was very pretty. They're just like your kids arent they? Funny, but not. You did the right thing. We can only hope our end will be that easy.

Barry in Portland said...

10:30 pm now, and we are still sad. Karen was a wreck all day, and when she got home, she said she couldn't go to the Bonnie Raitt concert with our friends.

We talked it over and I convinced her that going would be better than staying home miserable. It was a wonderful show, and the third encore was 'Angel from Montgomery', one of our favorite old songs.

Yes, it was better to go, be with friends, and listen to some music.

But, there is a big hole in our family tonight.

Anonymous said...

sigh. Condolences, my friend.