Saturday, September 23, 2006

Happy New Year, everybody

Rosh Hashonna began last night - our congregation had a massive group dinner (not exactly low-carb - the buffet table had bread, pasta in tomato sauce, and a rice dish with fish-that-tasted-pleasantly-like-but-could-not-possibly-be shrimp). I played piano with the other musicians (three guitars, a mandolin, and a Middle-eastern drum).

After the dinner, we all went upstairs and joined the rest of the congregation for the short evening service. It was all pretty good, except for the slightly embarrasing references to a God who listens to our needs and gives us what we pray for - I've always had trouble with that part. Fortunately, our rabbi is heavy on the social obligations to work for peace and justice, and light on the 'Eternal One, blessed be He'.

Karen is singing in the choir, so has to be there early this morning. I can't decide if I'm going or not. Yom Kippur generally works for me, as far as ritual cleansing goes.

Maybe I'll stick around the house, experience my various epiphanies doing chores in the yard, and keep coming back inside to read this piece, from a History professor in Kentucky.

No comments: