Thursday, February 28, 2008

my left foot - day 8

Thursday morning - into week #2. I am settled into a routine now, each day able to do more and more around the house. I am still instructed to put NO weight on the foot, and to keep it elevated (that part is easy, since it starts throbbing 30 seconds after it's lowered).

Yesterday, I not only hobbled downstairs to my computer room to send a fax, but also had Ben drive me around the neighborhood on a couple of chores. Still, when I got back home after a 1 hour outing, I was wiped out and went to bed.

Here's how the dressing looks now, after Tuesday's doctor visit:
It gets changed again next Wednesday, when the stitches come out.

I am still continually aware of discomfort, but the level of pain is greatly reduced, and my Vicodin consumption is down to one-A-day (generally in the late afternoon).

I think that, today, I will start working on the taxes - I placed a pile of papers within reach two weeks ago, but have not had the will to dig in until now. I guess that's a sign of growing boredom with reading, web surfing, and applying ice.

Current events time! I read this on the web this morning. So, according to the specific language of the Constitution, John McCain cannot be President. Of course, it would be preposterous to disqualify him on this basis, but I'm sure that the same folks who argue that we should never adjust our interpretation of the Constitution based on modern realities ("there is no Right to Privacy in the Constitution" -- Scalia) would argue that "the Constitution's words are very clear on this point, so McCain is out." Hypocrites.

3 comments:

Neli said...

I had a bunyonectomy on May 11, 2010, it is now august 10 and i still have edema and pain. i can't be on my feet for long. I was wondering how long your recovery took. I'm getting discouraged. Thanks neli

Barry in Portland said...

I think that I was feeling pretty optimistic four months in, and completely comfortable enough at eight months, to do a three-week trip to Turkey, with hiking and general tourism. Be patient, and it will eventually all seem worthwhile. Best wishes.

Neli said...

Thx. You gave me hope. I have people telling me that because of the edema and stiffness that there must be something wrong. But no one really has any experience with the external fixators, so I don't want to really go by them. An occupational therapist just looked at my foot and agrees with you, and that it will just take time. So thanks again. Neli