Thursday, February 21, 2008

falling into the rhythm

As predicted, I didn't move from bed all day, except for periodic trips to the bathroom. Haven't felt like eating, although Karen came home at noon and made me a great sandwich: veggie burger on a bagel, with mustard, onions, and salsa. I'm still full from that.

I've been taking my narcotics regularly, and am getting a sense of how much and how often does the job. My foot feels quite swollen, but I am icing it for 20 minutes out of EVERY hour, and keeping it elevated.

Haven't done much reading today -- spent most of the last 2 hours largely snoozing and listening to the radio, so I should be awake for a while now.

It does ache, but it's not horrible, except when it's time to pop another pill, which, now that I think about it, will be here again shortly.

The oddest thing is how much my world has shrunk into this room, after spending those days in Wisconsin, walking along frozen suburban streets, in a galaxy far, far away.

3 comments:

Thomas "Duffbert" Duff said...

One more thing that I found that helped... If you take the painkillers *before* the pain gets intense, it seems to go much better. Playing catch-up once pain has the upper hand is what did me in. :)

Hang in there, and hope things get better quickly.

Barry in Portland said...

Yes, several people said that, and I may have waited too long, a couple of hours ago.

Unknown said...

Just stumbled upon your blog- a big THANK YOU is in order! I'm having my bunion surgery in 24 hours (nearly down to the minute)...so I've been starting to get very worried. Hearing your experience proves that there will be a light at the end of my (nervously dreaded) tunnel. And, also being from WI, you helped me realize a very bright silver lining- avoiding the cold for a while! Yes, it's only October, but I'm sure you know how WI can be... anyway, thanks again!

-Colleen