Monday, April 30, 2012

men behaving badly

No, I'm not talking about World War I and II, although these are conspicuous examples.

Here's a thought I just had.  SOME White, Christian men are still so upset the a you-know-what is President, that they grasp at any of the many memes (both jokes and out-right lies) circulating thru the hatemosphere (I thought for a moment that I just made up that word, but I see a band has already claimed it).  This serves to bolster their sense that 'I am still superior', which was, after all, the subtext behind a lot of social thinking, prior to the 1960s.

I'm thinking that the recent right-wing state laws concerning contraception, forced probing, etc are yet another chapter in the same vein.  That is, their usage of 'take our country back' means SOME White, Christian men are fighting to return to the days when women and blacks knew their place (i.e. the slave quarters, the kitchen, and the laundry room).

Certainly not in the White House.  Certainly not in control of their bodies. 'Must assert dominance' (rinse and repeat).

Thinking of Gandhi's famous dictum ("First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."), I guess the most hopeful way to look at this current spate of shameful state laws is that, maybe, we are at stage 3 1/2.

Unfortunately, many of them are armed, and not part of a well-regulated militia.

No comments: