Monday, February 23, 2009

you know you're short of work when...

...the task of cleaning your desk makes it to the top of the daily to-do list.

One of my major clients for the past seven years has been The Nature Conservancy, for whom I have contributed to several interesting database projects, notably the Invasive Weeds application.

Last week, I heard from my primary contact that TNC is abandoning support for the Global Invasives initiative, and that she is losing her job next month. This probably translates into no more work for me on the project, unless they can get the NRDC, USGS, National Parks, or BLM (all of whom use WIMS) to take on ownership.

I hope it's not the BLM, since my dealings with them over the years has led me to conclude that they model their office regulations and procedures on the Byzantine Empire.

Now, the big decision of the day is going to be, which side of the desk do I attack first?

You think I'm kidding?

No comments: