Thursday, February 12, 2009

slavery in the 21st century

Yes, it's great that slavery is a thing of the past, but the need for slaves has not gone away - we just don't have humans in that role.

Case in point: at the moment, machines in this house are washing and drying my clothes, washing my dishes, baking some bread, simmering some soup, and heating my house. These are all functions that, 200 years ago, I would have employed someone to do.

No wonder our economy is so screwed up - it evolved from a time when there was plenty of work for humans to do, and now, in this credit economy, there are many more people needing to make a living, but fewer things for humans to do.

There's only so much new employment that technological advances can be expected to create (or is it unlimited?). Seems like a dilemma.

OK, it's true, I have to stir the soup myself, but the bread machine is starting to send out some wonderful aromas...

No comments: