Friday, September 07, 2007

yikes

Starting to feel like 1968 again.

I started college in 1969, having already, as a 17 year old, concluded that the Vietnam War had to end.

October 15th, 1969: I attended the first nationwide Moratorium in downtown Baltimore - my first mass anti-war rally. Big crowd, very exciting. Corretta Scott King spoke to us.

November 15th, 1969: I attended the GIANT Moratorium in DC (250,000, dubbed the 'largest anti-war protest in U.S. history' - the one shown in 'Forrest Gump'). It produced a stunning sense of solidarity, and a good time was had by all.

These two events made a big impact on me, and I think of them every time I attend yet another Stop-The-War event (there have been so many wars; so many events).

Now, it's this generation's turn to have that experience, with nationwide rallys planned for September 15th. Hope to see y'all there.

No comments: