Friday, September 28, 2007

Friday night in Wisconsin

Karen and I stopped by my Mom's Assisted Living place this morning. Mom was not looking all that great - seemed pale and was breathing with a little difficulty. Nevertheless, we took a very short walk outside, so that she could enjoy the warm sunshine.

At lunch time, Karen and I took off for Cedarburg, a nearby town famous for its antique stores and restored brick buildings. It was charming. We had a little lunch, then browsed around for a couple of hours. Karen bought some antique salt-and-pepper thingies and a glass plate. I bought a CD of Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie tunes ($3). Each to his/her own.

We got back to Mom's around 2:30, and she was looking awful - breathing with difficulty and hands shaking. We phoned my sister-in-law, and decided to take her to the Emergency room. We spent the next 5 hours there, while they did some tests, administered some medications, and analyzed the x-rays and tests. She was visibly better by early evening, but they decided to keep her there overnight, for observation.

My brother said that Mom has been in just about every different examining room at the Emergency dept. of this local hospital, over the past three years. Sucks to get old.

We finally got back to my brother's house around 8, ate some dinner, then tried to relax. Karen is watching a DVD - some Jerry Bruckheimer action/sci-fi film, with Denzel Washington. Allen went to sleep. I retreated to the bedroom, to read blogs and get ready for bed myself.

We head to the Milwaukee airport late tomorrow afternoon, and should be landing in Portland just before midnight, tomorrow night. All in all, it's been a nice visit - Karen and I went bike-riding yesterday, returning to my brother's house 10 minutes before the lightning and hail storm hit. The countryside around here is pretty, in a gently-rolling-but-mostly-flat sort of way.

Tired now. Long day.

No comments: