Thursday, June 14, 2007

so much good stuff on the 'net today

Just came across this astonishing interview with a former high-profile Israeli, who has written a book declaring that Israel should have moved beyond Zionism long ago, and, instead, has become a dark reincarnation of the Nazism that gave it both a Reason To Be and a lingering, destructive paranoia.

It echoes much of what I have come to feel about Israel, a land that was presented to my childhood eyes as a Shining Beacon of Hope, Righteousness and Optimism.

That vision was dashed after a visit from an old friend (probably 10 years ago or more), who has lived in Jerusalem for many years, in an Orthodox community. This person, born and raised on Long Island, who I've known since I was 18, sat in my kitchen and calmly asserted that 'all the Arabs are dogs, and should be killed.'

Something went wrong.

No comments: