Sunday, March 11, 2007

the US Treasury: watching out for your money!

Last December, I wrote out a check to the US Treasury, to cover a quarterly SE tax-payment. Unfortunately, due to inattention on my part, my bank informed me a couple of weeks later that it had bounced. My accountant said to immediately send in another check, with a cover letter explaining the oversight and asking that no penalty be assessed.

In early February, I got an official notice from IRS, informing me of the check bounce, and assessing me a $50 charge. The letter said that, if I believed the penalty should be waived, I should describe why. I wrote back, pointing out that I had sent a replacement check when notified by the bank (which happened back in January, one day before the IRS had received the check for initial processing).

I felt that this indicated my good intentions, and suggested that they examine my sterling record of timely tax payments, over the past 35 years.

Yesterday, of course, I received formal notice that my application for dismissal of the penalty was denied.

I will send them the $50, of course, but I'm wondering if I should point out that a better use of their time and resources would be spent trying to track down the 12 billion in cash that the Bushies withdrew from the Treasury and shipped to Iraq for 'expenses'.

Probably best not to bring it up. They are probably already wondering about the hundreds of billions that they used to oversee, that have gone to Bush and Cheney's domestic buddies. After all, I wouldn't want to rub it in.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And we can expect lots more of our tax money to go over to the Middle East region. Halliburton is doing so well over there ...and of course, we'd have to expect that with Shoot-Em-In-The-Face Cheney with his mitts in everything ...Halliburton is opening a new corporate headquarters in Dubai. Of course, I hear the skiing is great in Dubai pretty much *anytime*, but still one must figure that Halliburton is opening the HQ over there mainly to be close to what they expect to be a very good profit center for many, many years.

$400+ billion just in the Iraq war so far. Obviously the Treasury needs every dollar it can get to support such folly.

Barry in Portland said...

Best thing about the Halliburton move to Dubai: no corporate income tax on Dubai corporations. They can take our money, and not have to return a dime to the US Treasury in taxes. Everybody wins (well, not everybody)!