Thursday, January 25, 2007

mom and Microsoft doing better

Will be released from the hospital today - seems to have stabilized, but, of course, the underlying problems remain. I will be there in Wisconsin in a couple of weeks.

Went to the Vista/Office 2007 launch event in downtown Portland, the other day. I have to admit that Vista has a lot of flashy features (thanks, Apple!), but I didn't see anything that I desperately need for development. They did hand out CDs with keys to obtain (free) Office 2007 and Groove 2007.

If you upgrade to this new version of Groove, you have to do it on all computers on which you have Groove accounts, and since I depend on this product so much, I am reluctant to proceed. Likewise with Office 2007 - something tells me that waiting for the next rev might be a good idea, given Microsoft's track record.

Meanwhile, my old Enron buddies are in Florida this week, at Lotusphere. This used to be an annual pilgrimage for me, too, back in the days when I was a Notes guy. I kinda miss that scene - it was always a lot of fun, and very inspiring. I remember, one time back in the 90's, when I was heavily involved with cc:Mail, that I was eating breakfast in the big tent when a guy came by and asked if the empty seat at the table was available. It was, and he turned out to be the guy who wrote cc:Mail (whose name I now forget).

Also, there were some amazing parties - never had I seen so many socially-backward people trying to look sober.

Work demands are light these days - waiting for folks to make decisions. Sometimes, I wonder what it would be like to have a real job - seems like a long time ago.

No comments: