Sunday, November 05, 2006

Election day TODAY (Sunday)!!!!

Well, in Nicaragua it's today. How reasonable, to do it on a weekend. You'd think that elected officials would realize that holding national elections on a TUESDAY would make it difficult for working folks to vote.

Oh.

Today is my 55th birthday. Last night we had dinner with my best friends, and the food and wine were wonderful. I'm always slightly embarrased to be the center of attention in any non-musical setting (a notable exception), but this was fun. To top it off, the presents that my friends gave me truly showed that they know me well.

1) the complete (70,000+) New Yorker cartoons, on CD.
2) a book about Soccer as a metaphor for globalization
3) a book on the political genius of Lincoln

I am heading for Wisconsin Tuesday morning. I should get some election news running thru the Minneapolis airport between planes (it's always a long way to make this transfer). By the time I get to Milwaukee, polls west of the Rockies will be closed and projections ought to be starting to appear.

When we wake up Wednesday morning, we'll know a lot more about the shape of future American History textbooks. Will it be the morning 'America finally came to its senses', or will it be the morning when the re-education camps started 'accepting repentant dissidents'.

Maybe I should have been dropping hints, the past few weeks, that what I really wanted for my birthday is hand-grenades.

No comments: