Thursday, November 30, 2006

Bite me, Stephen Hawking

I hate to disagree with him, but, jeez.

Reminds me of the old Groucho joke, quoted by many, including Woody Allen: "I'd hate to be a member of a club that would have me as a member."

I'd hate to live in a Universe populated by the people who have populated this planet. Sure, we've developed Open Source software and milk that doesn't need refrigeration, but there's also the troubling propensity to Ethnic Cleansing.

My suggestion: enjoy whatever pleasures you have, be kind to as many people as possible, and try to limit the extent to which your pleasures come at the expense of the sufferings of uncountable millions.

In other words, God had the right idea with The Flood, and delivering Noah to another planet may not turn out to be such a great idea, again.

Re-reading too much Vonnegut these days (just finished 'Breakfast of Champions' last night). So it goes.

No comments: