Friday, January 23, 2009

i pass a test

During today's countless moments of significant activity, let me describe one particular minute.

THE SET UP

For months, Ben has been singing the praises of Kenny and Zuk's, a downtown deli. I took him there for lunch today, arriving around 12:10 and the place was crazy with lunchers.

One of Ben's good High School friends (Lincoln HS) works as a counter-man and cashier there. We had our fabulous lunch (1/2 of a pastrami, chopped liver, cole slaw and russian dressing and a bowl of hot borsht for me, and an impossibly large turkey-pastrami sandwich with a mound of fries for Ben), paid, and got ready to leave. On the way out, we stopped to chat with Ben's friend.

Noah asked me if I'd like a complementary dessert, as a Dad-of-a-friend. I instantly turned my eyes to the plate of familiar objects, labeled 'Hamantaschen'.

THE MOMENT OF TRUTH

Noticing my obvious interest, Noah (not a Jew) asked me, 'poppy or prune'?

I PASS A TEST

Without having to think, I instantly replied, 'poppy, of course'.

THE PROOF

Noah said, "everyone who knows what those are always chooses 'poppy'".

QED


THE SHOCKING EPILOGUE

nice buttery cookie, but too dry

No comments: