Thursday, January 08, 2009

he's baaack

OK, OK, I know h0w tiresome it is to hear someone else moan about being depressed.

All it took to get me beyond it was a couple of phone calls and emails yesterday morning, from my two primary clients, throwing several complex programming challenges at me.

I spent most of the day tweaking a bunch of code I had previously written, to handle arcane data situations, inscrutable user requirements, and, yes, previously-introduced little buggies.

It was, again, totally fulfilling, and there's more to come today.

So, what is the antidote for depression? Being useful to someone. As St. Vonnegut so often reminded us, the purpose of human beings is to simply help each other get thru this.

In other news, my oldest son, Ben, came over for dinner last night. The two of us cooked together, using a jar of black mole that we bought in Oaxaca, and the chicken mole was good, as were the mashed potatoes, broccoli, avocado salad, and, yes, whole wheat fig newtons.

After dinner, Ben sat us down in front of the tube, and insisted that we watch the entire first season of 'Arrested Development', which I had never seen. I have to admit, I had to laugh out loud.

Back to the Visual Basic editor now, to work more magic. We all do what we can.

No comments: