Monday, August 27, 2007

thanks again, Microsoft!

A couple of years ago, I built a handheld data-collection application for a client, that used a Pocket Access (.cdb) database on the device and used ActiveSync to sync with an .mdb file on the Desktop. It was written in VB.NET.

Worked great, but I had to use a 3rd party tool, to provide ADO services to .NET, since that was something Microsoft had neglected to include within the Pocket PC 2003 OS.

The other day, I tried to load the app on my (Windows Mobile 5) device, and it failed. A little detective work revealed that Microsoft had dropped all support for ADO in WM5. So, my clients are restricted to using PPC 2003 devices (fortunately, they bought 3), until such time that I can rewrite the data-access components of the system, to use a SQL Server Personal data-store.

Let me remind you that the reason that I had to buy Visual Studio .NET was that the original development platform for Pocket PC development (Microsoft's 'Embedded Visual Basic'), was obsoleted. EVB was free. VS ain't.

I see a pattern developing. 'Bait and switch' comes to mind.

Meanwhile, bye-bye, Fredo.

No comments: