Sunday, February 25, 2007

Academy Awards show buzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't care.

As every lover of film knows, these are meaningless. Again and again, superior films either lose to inferior films, or are totally ignored. Superior directors (like Scorsese) or superior actors (Peter O'Toole) are, over the years, unrecognized for their brilliant films, and, finally, given a sympathy award, late in their careers, for a film that may be good, but not great.

Last week, while stranded in the Minneapolis airport for 3 unexpected hours, I wandered around, looking for diversions. At the CD/DVD stand, they had the usual current hits, plus a rack of '2 for $20' DVDs. Surely, I thought to myself, I could find something cheap, to play on my laptop while waiting for my plane to Portland to board.

Scanning the titles, there was NOTHING I was remotely interested in. I went back to the non-discounted DVD rack, and, amid dozens of labels, there was only one that I felt would be excellent to buy and watch.

'Little Big Man', for $15.

Back in the early 70's, I took a class in college, that forever shaped my attitudes and appreciation for film. We viewed a series of amazing films - without it, I never would have seen classics like 'The Scarlet Empress' or 'The Fallen Idol'. But, it was 'Little Big Man' that totally blew me away. In the decades since, I bet I've seen it twice, and found that its humor, tragedy, wisdom, and astonishing cinematography hold up beautifully.

I didn't buy it in Minneapolis. Instead, cheapskate that I am, I put it on hold at our wonderful library when I got home. In less than three days, it arrived. Karen and I watched it last night (she could not remember ever having seen it).

Still brilliant, and, now that Dustin Hoffman is an old guy, it's breath-taking to see him as a VERY young guy (I could say more here, but no spoilers). Suffice it to say that Chief Dan George's final speech in the film still retains its amazing magic.

If it's been more than 20 years since you've seen this film, do it soon. Then, think about the arrogance of American Imperial power.

When it's over, I know you'll say "well, it's no 'Little Miss Sunshine'".

'Little Miss Sunshine', by the way, is quite amusing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My favorite words from the movie: "doesn't like horses" ....always makes me chuckle.