Thursday, December 11, 2008

mom update

She's on morphine now, and unlikely to ever get out of bed again.

I just had a webcam session, where I was viewing her from across the room. It looked like this:

The odd thing was that I had two windows side-by-side: one photo editor window where I had pasted in this static screen-shot, and, right next to it, the window with the live video. The only difference between the two was that the live screen (so to speak) had small movements as she breathed. It was very eerie.

My brother and sister-in-law and Ester, her loyal attendant for the past few months, were there in the room, too, and we chatted while the view was largely unchanging.

We are just waiting now for the inevitable. At some moment, I will get the call, and leap into action making airline and lodging plans, and dealing with the Mexico reservations (now 9 days away).

Also, I'm trying to get some programming work for the Nature Conservancy done before year-end. It's nice to have something that's under my control.

Dylan is expected to drive up from Ashland tonight, and tomorrow is Ben's 22nd birthday - we are taking him out to dinner. I am appreciating these rare occasions where everyone is together.

No comments: