Friday, August 15, 2008

dog day

hot, hot, hot in Portland. Neither of us slept well last night, me due to a lingering cold and the heat, Karen because of the residual effects of her colonoscopy prep and the heat.

taking the day mostly off. I drove her to the facility this morning, then went to Powell's in Beaverton to sell some old books and buy more. Then, at the nearby coffee place, with WiFi, plugged in my laptop and actually did billable work.

Now I am back at the medical facility, waiting for her to be discharged. She hasn't eaten in a couple of days and, depending on her energy level, we will go out for lunch and errands soon.

I am finding free WiFi wherever I need it, and it's great being a high-tech nomad.

I told my New Mexico client (the BLM office in Carlsbad) that I don't think I can complete their project in their budgeted amount (it's turned out to be a rats-nest of embedded forms, table-based audit rules and queries-upon-queries-upon-queries). They like what I've done so far and want me to tell them how much it will cost to fulfill their vision. I don't think they are going to like the answer.

No comments: