Wednesday, May 09, 2007

snoozin'

not much happening - work-load slow - weather nice - upcoming fun trips.

Last night, I made a casserole using greens entirely from our garden, with feta cheese, egg, lemon, etc. Karen, who is supposedly lactose-intolerant and off cheese, dug in and pronounced it very good.

The tomatoes and peas are looking good. The basil and peppers not so good, but hanging in there. Still waiting for the parsnips to germinate. The broccoli I planted last fall is still putting out tender stalks, and the leaves were part of the casserole.

No library books out at the moment - a rare occurrence - so I am reduced to finishing back issues of The New Yorker and the perennial stack of books at my bedside. Have been dipping into a book of Mark Twain's speeches (he often provided copies of his texts to reporters beforehand, and many of these survived), and, although occasionally quite clever, not on a par with his other brilliant stuff.

I still miss Kurt Vonnegut. The last library book I finished, yesterday, was 'Fates Worth than Death', a pastiche of autobiographical pieces he released back under George Bush I, which I had never read. It was like discovering a hidden treasure that had been in a time-warp. It was a little odd to have to make the mental adjustment, every time he referred to Republicans and their dirty little wars and corruption, to remind onesself that that was a different time. Yeah, right.

Waiting to hear from a client about some changes they want. If I don't get an email from them soon, I'm going outside to pull weeds.

No comments: