Tuesday, May 01, 2007

it's a bi-polar world

I was hit by overwhelming depression Saturday - a combination of things political and personal. I spent 5 hours in the middle of the day lying in bed, staring at the ceiling and wondering what it would take to make me leave it.

It broke around 7 pm.

Sunday was a beautiful day, again. I spent 4 or 5 hours digging out blackberries from an area I spent two days on, last year. Little by little, the battle against those intruders goes on. By 2 pm, I could report 'Mission Accomplished', and had the scratched and bleeding arms and legs to show it.

Got myself cleaned up, rested a bit, then reported for accompanist duty at a dry-run/performance of the Portland Jewish Choral festival program, which is actually happening next weekend. I am playing for three different choral groups, and Sunday's rehearsals and performances kept me occupied for over 3 hours. It went well - final rehearsal is Wednesday night.

What a contrast between those two days.

Forgot to mention that, on Sunday, I also made progress on my vegetable garden. The peas are coming along nicely, and I now have tomatoes, peppers, and basil growing, with the parsnips seeded. Also, the wintered-over brocolli and rhubarb is doing great and the fruit trees have passed the blossom-stage.

It's almost enough to make one believe in God. Almost (but not quite).

Reading Greg Palast's newly-released-and-enhanced 'Armed Madhouse' (I got an autographed copy for a $50 contribution to his investigative fund). It is depressing.

Also reading a collection of Mark Twain speeches/lectures. Some of it is dated, but, when he's good, he's very good.

I understand he was a bit bi-polar, too. I respect that.

Happy May Day.

No comments: