Thursday, October 12, 2006

busy days

Karen has been gone since last Saturday, and returns this coming Saturday evening. She was in LA for a couple of days, visiting her Mom, before heading on to Phoenix, for a law conference. Naturally, she left me a long list of things-to-do, and, I must say that I have been faithfully chipping away at the list.

That, in addition to dealing with needy clients on three different projects. At the moment, everyone seems to be happy, and there are no fires needing to be extinguished today.

Last night, Brooke, Richard and I played a gig at a great little Asian bistro on NE Fremont. We auditioned there back in June, and the owner was quite enthusiastic about having us play there regularly. Then came summer, with travels keeping the three of us apart (frequently on different continents) until last week.

We finally got together at my house Tuesday afternoon, to see if we still remembered enough tunes to play for a couple of hours, and the rehearsal went very well. So, we had some degree of confidence, going into the gig, that we'd be fine, and we were. I was very pleased with the music.

Unfortunately, Brooke tells us that there is a possibility that her husband will be transferred to Boise early next year, so that might be the end of this group.

You might think that, for the time being, at least we could rely on weekly gigs for the next couple of months, but you'd be mistaken.

I just made plane reservations to fly to Oakland next Tuesday and will be there thru Thursday morning, meeting with clients on two different projects, so no gig next week.

Then, the week after that, Richard is unavailable, so it will be just Brooke and me. Music is an uncertain business - good thing I don't rely on it to put food on my family.

Looks like a b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l Fall day here in Portland coming up. I hope to ride my bike over to the accountant, to pick up some tax stuff that needs to be signed and mailed by next Monday. Maybe I'll pick some more apples today, too.

Of course, all these plans could change in a moment, if an October-surprise email comes thru, from a panic-stricken client...

No comments: