Tuesday, October 28, 2008

it's great to be back among the wingnuts

Somehow, I got on the mailing list of a guy in Southern California, who regularly sends out mass emails of a 'certain' bent. I usually challenge his stuff, and always get back an unintentionally-funny response.

Got this one this morning, with the Subject 'WISDOM':

This election year let's be reminded of these words:

* You cannot help the poor, by destroying the rich.


* You cannot strengthen the weak, by weakening the strong.

* You cannot bring about prosperity, by discouraging thrift.

* You cannot lift the wage earner up, by pulling the wage payer down.

* You cannot further the brotherhood of man, by inciting class hatred.

* You cannot build character and courage, by taking away men's initiative and independence.

* You cannot help 20 men permanently, by doing for them what they could and should, do for themselves.

Do you recognize the author?

It was Abraham Lincoln

Very, very wise words, written years ago and many still don't get it



Naturally, I wrote back with a link to a web site that debunks these quotes, as certainly NOT having come from Lincoln. He wrote back to me:

Don't care who said it I like it makes sense and by the way what makes your
source the authority?


I wrote back 'you are too funny...' followed with six more web pages documenting the erroneous attribution.

Fish in a barrel.


*** LATE UPDATE ***

Received an actually reasonable response from the guy:

Okay Barry I think I have good idea since your very good at finding out when something is viable from now on if you don't mind I would like to send you what I receive and then have you look it up prior to my forwarding it to anyone. What do you say?

I will definitely take him up on this offer. Maybe there IS hope after all!

No comments: