Saturday, January 05, 2008

Huckabee/Obama '08

I am amused this morning, seeing all the hype about these two, when it's absolutely clear to me (not that I've ever been wrong before) that, next November, the choice will be Clinton vs. McCain.

The Media machine and Power Establishment settled on these candidates months ago, and it's almost time for us frivolous potential 'voters' (how quaint) to get in line.

The final straw here is ABC's edict that Dennis be excluded from the upcoming New Hampshire debate. The fantasy that the public airwaves are lent to media companies as a courtesy, as long as they operate in the 'public interest' (how quaint), died long ago.

Last night on Bill Moyers' show, both Ron Paul and Dennis received a solid 20 minutes each, and it was so damn refreshing. I think Ron is absolutely correct in his catalog of what's wrong - it's just his remedies that I find unsettling.

Dennis seemed tired - it was not a great appearance, despite his making some very good points, as always. I think he is realizing that his endorsement of Obama in Iowa, due to its unique convoluted caucus procedures, is perceived by most as a bad, inauthentic move.

I am confused by the media meme that Edwards' 2nd place finish in Iowa means he is finished. We like Edwards - heck, you gotta love a candidate who is willing to bring up what, ultimately, is the central question of our times, the successful Class Warfare that the Rich are currently winning.

Finally, I bring up the following with great hesitancy. This morning, I had a premonition of Michelle Obama wearing a black mourning veil. Sorry, but there it was. The national joy in such an admitted triumph has so often, in many times and places, been transformed into shock by the events of three seconds. I fear.

Last night, while Karen was at her dance class, I had the house to myself for a couple of hours. I turned on the light at the piano, and had a wonderful hour playing old tunes, loud and fast and loose. This makes me happy. You?

No comments: