Thursday, April 27, 2006

Deja vu opportunity coming

We are going to Spain and Morocco in June - the reality of that trip is just starting to hit us. We decided to break up the traveling by flying to New York the day before the flight to Madrid, to spend a day there and have Dylan see what a REALLY big city is like.

When I was a kid, growing up in upstate New York, we periodically went to New York, sometimes accompanying my father on business matters. We always stayed at the Edison Hotel, just off Times Square. I remember vividly its lobby and the amazing deli across the streey (I think is was called the 'Gaiety', and had the thickest corned-beef sandwiches I have ever seen).

I just made our reservation to stay at the Edison our night in New York. It will be a real time-warp to walk into that lobby again, after an absence of over 40 years. Maybe the reason the memory is so vivid is that a crucial scene in 'The Godfather' was filmed there (where Lucca Brazzi is killed at the bar). The first time I saw that film, I instantly recognized the Edison. Weird.

We will have limited energy to sight-see in New York, but I'd like Dylan to see, at a minimum, the Empire State Building and, maybe, the Statue of Liberty. Since it's the first stop on a big vacation, I don't want to get him burned out the first day.

Guess I'll take a closer look at the current 'New Yorker' (just arrived in my mailbox a few hours ago), and see if there are any plays that look like fun.

No comments: